View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2017, 03:57 PM   #12
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieje
I only speak about cleaning/preserving the metal, which is not the same as altering a weapon by sharpening its edge or colouring feathers.
Cleaning would reveal details of the forging process, beautiful patterns or copper decorations/inlay.
Daily use would keep the weapons in good condition. If stored or unused for a long time, they get dirty and rusty. Rust is not a patina.

I’ll add as an example some pictures of a nice sword from South Congo. The first picture is when I bought it. When cleaning I’ve found a nice surprise in the form of a great and unusual decoration (figure and flower) and 2 tribal repairs, a brass and lead inlay probably to fill up gaps that occurred while forging the blade.
I do agree with you , the removal of rust is most important and I would not suggest otherwise . However the beautiful decoration of your blade would disappear in time if it was constantly buffed and polished over time. The fact that you have discovered it on the blade is a testament to the lack of cleaning afforded to it by its original owner . Much of the decorative detail on Georgian and Victorian officers swords is now worn because of the military fashion of 'making things shiny ' !
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote