View Single Post
Old 20th February 2023, 02:57 PM   #1
Richard R.

Default Inscription identification of two Indian chainmail-plate armour (Zirah Baktar)

Concerning the cataloguing, description and verification of old incomplete data of some oriental blades and armours, I would like to ask for your help. I would be grateful for any inputs such as possible dating, origin, translation and interpretation of the inscriptions and markings, etc.

The first chainmail-plate shirt (Nr. 1) has a two-line inscription on the inside of the rear kidney plate. The second line seems to be in a different script than the upper one. Unfortunately, the inscriptions are very blurred and difficult to identify. When trying to photograph the inscription, depending on the incidence of light, a different result or other possible guessed signs emerge. I have tried to digitally trace the writing with red to make it clearer, but have probably reproduced some characters incorrectly. I would be very grateful for any information’s, suggestions for translations or possible additions to the blurred letters.

The second chainmail-plate shirt (Nr. 2) bears punch dot markings on the front of the lower right main plate and a second inscription inside the right lower mainplate in the front.

Thanks
Richard

P.S. I have also started a corresponding help request on “swordforum.com” und der thread: “Inscription identification of two Indian/Mughal chain-plate coats (Zirah Baktar)”.
Attached Images

Richard R. is offline   Reply With Quote