View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:18 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The point I was trying to make was that the terms used for these guns, in the period or by accounts, seem to have been rather nonspecific or perhaps more collectively used. I realize that the gun in the posted image looks like the esmeril's I have seen in other references, but in this case was included with a number of culverins.
as noted the term seems to have been used for quite a range of sizes, which they note as sizes least sized; ordinary or extra ordinary...much like shirt sizes :
The the 'demo culverin' (medijm cannon?) it looks pretty big.

So the thing I was noting is, how would this guy have access to not one but two military size cannon (culverins so they say) when he was basically a private group in exodus. The question was about the size of the 'culverins' being dragged up the side of the pueblo terrain? yes?

It is noted in the Gonzalez cannon matters, people describing cannon would sometimes referred to as bronze, when they were in fact iron etc. so it seems clearly that one persons account would be one description, another persons entirely different.
This is the dilemma of arms research, semantics, colloquial terms used collectively.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote