View Single Post
Old 17th September 2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsujinken
yeah ... me too, my first opinion is this one was kamardikan, but since it was already within the family for quite some time, who knows ...

now why I used choji oil :
my test revealing that majority of the oil for keris sold here is acidic, including several brands of sandalwood oil I tested. Acidic = potentially corrosive
as we are all aware, apart from the mytical properties of nice-smelling oil, the use of oil is to preserve the blade (and original staining) by protecting it against humidity.
since I am also a kenjutsu practicioner, the easiest way in my thought was to revert to the oil that has been successfully protecting japanese blades for centuries - choji (and I have quite a lot of it)

Donny
Hello Donny,
From the pictures of your blade (not very clear) and your story, it seems to me that it was probably made in Madura some 30 years ago after the renaissance of the kris making there but other opinions are welcome.
And thank you for the explanation about your preference for choji oil: you are certainly correct that the commercial pusaka oils available in Java are variable in quality and potentially acidic. Regarding choji oil, it seems that it is made from about 1% clove oil diluted into mineral oil, so the difference with pure mineral oil may just be the scent?
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote