Thread: Caino weapon
View Single Post
Old 31st December 2023, 01:27 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is of course a stiletto (it lacks the side ring typically on left hand daggers) but of most curious character with cast brass hilt , turned wood(?) grip and unusual cabachons. I would wonder if this is perhaps a theatrically oriented item using what appears to be an authentic Milanese blade c. 1600, and likely in such case a Victorian period creation. The use of authentic blades in well fashioned reproduction arms was well known in these times.

The boldly stamped CAINO along with crowned M over what should be an S suggests this could be a blade from the famed Pietro Caino of Milan, who worked c. 1580-1610. He did apparently produce left hand daggers (Mann, Wallace Coll. p.266) and the marking 'three bends' (?) is noted. I wonder if this refers to the saltires (x's) as seen here.
I would note that the adjoining stamps such as star and other flanking the crowned M S (or C) here as well as the arc with orbs at each end suggest to me these are authentically placed marks...the kinds of nuances not typically accompanying spurious markings.

There was also a Francesco Caino of Brescia (mentioned in the Cicogna treatise 1567) who seems to have been significant, but what markings he used are unclear.
It is noted that CAINO was also a prolific blade making town in NE Brescia in the 17th c. which was under the control of Venice.

Whatever the circumstances of the curious 'incarnation' of this 'stiletto' it does seem this is likely an authentic blade, quite possibly from the shop of Pietro....but certainly in the 'Caino sphere' of end of 16th c. into early 17th.