View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2024, 07:06 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel7 View Post
Thank you for your detailed answers! I do indeed live in the Netherlands. To be completely honest, Krissen never really interested me. Probably because they are offered here so often. However, these were so cheap that I couldn't refuse them. Now that I have them I find them quite interesting. I'll just leave them as they are for now. Restoring them would probably cost many times more than they are worth.
As for the cloth I received with it, after some research it probably comes from the province of Lampung and is called a Tapis.
I understand what you mean about restorations that end up costing many times more than the items themselves. That is why many of us endeavour to learn how to do these restorations ourselves. But certainly it is not everyone's forte.
But i do agree with Detlef that you should at least attempt to do a minimal amount of maintenance on these blades to eliminate any active rust or they will only continue to deteriorate. The basic cleaning of a keris does not take too much skill, just a bit of time and patience. There are quite a few threads in our archive on this subject, But this thread should help get you started.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23934
David is offline   Reply With Quote