View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2023, 09:42 PM   #1
RobT

Default Barn Find Kris Restoration

Hi All,

As can be seen from the seller’s photos, this kris was in considerable need of attention. However, since the price was commensurate with the condition, I decided to accept the challenge. Since the missing baca baca needed to be replaced, the first order of business was removing the hilt. Given the sword’s condition, I very much doubted anyone had bestirred themselves to epoxy the hilt in position and happily,, I was correct. After the hilt had been removed, I put the blade into my specially made kris tank for a 24 hour EvapoRust soak. A post EvapoRust examination revealed an exceedingly neat and close fitting, rectangular mortise in the ganja for the tang. This fit is made all the more remarkable because the fit of the ganja to the blade appears to have the same tight tolerance as an automobile crankshaft bearing. How the smith was able to get both areas so well fitted is a mystery to me. I would have thought that in this case, getting such a tight fit in one area would have gotten in the way of making a tight fit in the other. After the EvapoRust bath came the lengthy polishing with a 3M abrasive pad. Once the polishing was complete, I made the new baca baca and refitted the hilt with a heat sensitive adhesive. I am pleased to have been able to restore this fine blade to much of its former condition.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote