View Single Post
Old 10th September 2020, 02:25 PM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Peter. Your research is very interesting. I have read your article previously. Ottoman and Indo-Persian koftgari are subtle in their differences, but as you say there may have been some Ottoman influence at work in Burma. I believe that I read in Scott's writings on the History of Burma, and his time as an administrator there during the 19th C, that Indian influence in various Burmese arts and industries was longstanding also. However, it's some time since I read Scott and my recollection may be off.

I do think that the production of high quality Burman dha with silver or gold koftgari (and occasional niello), while never highly prolific, reached its height in the mid-late 19th C perhaps due in part to an increased demand from affluent British residents. Most of the examples we see appear to have been made in the second half of the 19th C and early 20th C. Older examples are hard to identify conclusively, although there are probably well documented pieces in Myanmar. Unfortunately, it is not the easiest place to visit and explore the history of dha. I tried unsuccessfully to obtain a visa 20 years ago and again 12 years ago.

I note that Yamethin district is within the Mandalay Region, so your information fits with the attribution of these swords to Mandalay.

Last edited by Ian; 10th September 2020 at 06:09 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote