Thread: Modern barung
View Single Post
Old 16th March 2019, 03:09 AM   #11
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I've had these three barung for a while and I've been meaning to put them up for discussion.

The top one I purchased in Zamboanga in the late 1990s. I think it is Maranao or Yakan in origin (or perhaps a combination of both). The horn hilt is a flamboyant one, similar in manufacture to some of the modern pira that come from the same area in that it has a trapdoor at the end of the hilt. The pictures of the hilt show this feature.

The second one came from Manila and is Palawan in origin. A distinguishing feature of Palawano barung is often the absence of a metal punto which is replaced by rattan wrapping. The scabbard also has a distinctive style of wrapping with rattan that is also seen on their bangkung scabbards (there are examples of that sword and its scabbard elsewhere on this site). The scabbard on this barung has some nice carving showing dragons fighting. Palawan is the westernmost island in the Philippine archipelago and closest to the Chinese coast. It is not uncommon to find Chinese motifs in their crafts.

The third one I acquired in Davao City. It could be Maguindanao or Maranao in origin. The blade is a liberal interpretation of a barung. (Perhaps Jose can judge its origin from the okir work). Of the three, this is the best one with regard to quality of materials and workmanship.

Each of these barung is a departure from the more traditional forms seen in the Sulu Archipelago and Mindanao. These recent interpretations are interesting and reflect the ongoing skills of Muslim groups in the Philippines.

Ian.

Hi sir Ian,

At first glance, I'd say the first and third barungs are Tugaya products. The second is a badung from the Palaw'an tribe in Southern Palawan.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote