View Single Post
Old 14th April 2017, 12:49 AM   #22
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Well Redline, I just realized that the 'read' was the wordplay (bonk!) and very clever in dealing in military books.....well done! Being astute is not one of my best traits

So you're a botanist, now there is a fascinating field!! and your inclination toward classification now well understood. We've had some most interesting discussion on botanical motif in decorating weapons, and in styling.

I had not thought of childrens weapons regarding Miguels examples, and that is indeed a distinct possibility.

Whatever the case, these carry the distinctive symbols and motif that is so inherently important in the traditions and conventions of these tribes in the Sahara. That four petal device well aligns with the crosses we have been discussing, and occurs often on takouba mounts in these regions.
Even in the case of 'souveniers' these items reflect the powerful and often mysterious history and traditions of these people, and Tuareg material culture is highly regarded artistically in ethnographica.

"..the sober truth about the Sahara...is more mysterious than
anything that has ever been written about it, even by the
most irresponsible spinner of fairy tales, for the very fact
is that very little is yet known about the peoples who live
there".
-Lloyd Cabot Briggs
"Tribes of the Sahara" (1960)

However......clearly.......we are learning!!!
Ah Jim , dont do yourself an injustice .... we struggled for years with customers mispronouncing and therefore misunderstanding our little joke .... read ( red ) was frequently pronounced 'reed' ... and then I would have to spend time explaining it all to them ! Well if you have to explain a joke , its not much of a joke ... so I often rued the day I chose that name ! Botanical latin is so much simpler !
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote