View Single Post
Old 31st October 2008, 03:10 AM   #13
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Miguel,

The last cannon you pictured is a Lantaka. In fact a crocodile version. Looks quite nice. can't tell from the quality of picture if it was made as a fighting cannon, or a trade piece.

I have some of these going back to the late 1500s to early 1600s, but though I have some of the "seahorse" ornamented, I don't have a crocodile.

Do you have any other pictures of it?
Hi Bill,

Kindly refer to this LINK for more pics. The piece is described at that site as:
PERSONAL BRONZE LANTAKA CANNON

Swivel Gun Early1900's!

Known as a personal cannon, the Lantaka was popular in the East Indies starting in the 16 th Century, where they were mounted on small ships as swivel guns, and also considered a form of currency. They were not only intended for use as weapons, but were admired for their beauty.

Presented is a cast bronze cannon of a traditional Lantaka with a flared barrel at the front. It is decidedly Indonesian in design with raised floral and geometric designs at the front and rear. It has a yoke and pin which makes it a swivel gun for use on the bulwark of a ship. The extension at the rear was to insert a wooden stock in the hollow tube for aiming. Its proportions follow that of a ship's long gun.

USE: It is of the type of weapon that was used as a presentation piece, for personal protection in close in fighting, as a signaling device, or as a form of currency in earlier times. When this cannon was cast, its use was strictly as that of currency and to enhance the importance and prestige of its owner.

CONDITION: The cannon has sight front and rear, and a rich dark, patina with green overtones. The trunnions are cast as part of the barrel which is traditional. There are no mold marks, but there are the classic Indonesian floral and geometric designs enhanced by the desirable figure of an alligator above the pivot point. On each side is a cast in place VOC cartouche on the sides behind the alligator. VOC was the sign of the Dutch East India Company. The touch hole has a rim around it and is clear to the bore which runs the length of the barrel. There is a fracture around the casting at the breech.

This fine example of a Lantaka is being sold for display purposes only, and no attempt should be made to fire it. There is an old fracture at the breech.

DIMENSIONS: 24 3/4" LOA x 2 5/8“ W at breech, 1 3/4" at first band
Bore 11/16" WEIGHT: 28 lbs

HISTORY: Usually the better quality miniature personal cannons were cast in Holland, Europe and England starting in the 1600's. These were finer in detail, design, and quality then those that were made in the Spice Islands. They were intended as a presentation piece, for personal protection in close in fighting, as a signaling device, or as a form of currency. The quality of this casting indicates that its origin was in Indonesia from where it was likely made in the first quarter of the 20th Century.
Yup, I knew it was a lantaka

However, I thought that being one of the small versions, such lantaka also served the purpose of being a 'hand cannon', in a loose sense that is.

Best regards.

Last edited by migueldiaz; 31st October 2008 at 05:37 AM.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote