View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2023, 06:18 PM   #8
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
It is difficult to be sure of anything with these pictures. The spine would help. The width of metal in the handle does seem to vary. Could be from a late ersatz version? Certainly has a bayonet look. Could the scabbard look like one of those Brazil / Argentine knives? It is far from a machete.
There is a book of facsimiles of old weapons catalogs from the late 19th early 20th century (publication date in the late 1960's I believe) that we used sometimes to help determine what we had and its original value. There was a section of old machete ads that, I think, had styles of machetes similar to this in several lengths. I have been trying to remember the title of this book for a year, if someone has a title for me help would be appreciated. But to the point I believe there were some machetes like this, maybe manufactured in Germany??? After twenty plus years my memory is a bit fuzzy on this.

Sorry for not being able to give a citation.

Is there is distinct distil taper in the handle section that would allow for widening the grip to create the pommel? Could that be done if the first step was upsetting the base of the tang with localized heats? There is not a serial number on the other side of the blade which I associate with former military items. I think I am leaning towards factory made tool/weapon as much as I would like to see a repurposed machete. Proportionally at around 18.5 in it seems too wide to be a bayonet.

Last edited by Interested Party; 22nd October 2023 at 06:28 PM. Reason: clumsy post
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote