View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 03:19 AM   #14
ganjawulung

Dear Alan,

Subandi, or his formal name now (named by Keraton Solo) Kanjeng Raden Tumenggung (KRT) Subandi Supaningrat, wrote in KERIS magazine (1st edition) that he had been two months with the senior Yosopangarso (elder brother of Empu Djeno in Yogyakarta). But the late Empu Yoso only gave basic instruction in keris making.

And on keris knowledge, his 'teacher' was for instance Mr Sukat (or Saukat?) so I've mistaken with Sukadgo. (See KERIS, page 50-51 on the Process of the Making of Pusakas). Very sorry for that big mistake. Sukat is an expertise in keris, like Mr Hardjonagoro or Go Tik Swan.

I know too, Mr Fauzan Pusposukadgo. Now he doesn't make kerises no more and has changed his profession. The wellknown of his work is dhapur "gumbeng", it was the German Dietrich Drescher who promoted that work (if I'm not mistaken). You still may see this gumbeng in Bambang Harsrinuksmo's Ensiklopedi Keris.

I know also, that in the past many of Solonese keris maker "only" ordered the kodokan (forged iron for keris) from Madura, and than finished it in Solo, or shaping the kerises in Solo. Until the Institut Seni Indonesia (ISI, an art institute) Solo had their own besalen. (Now no more, but Yantono still has his own besalen at his house. You know it well).

Subandi now makes his own blade. He is one of the best. (Garap, or workmanship for the keris finishing, I'd prefer Sukamdi). Yes, many of the keris maker in the old days they were (if I may say) 'keris dealer'. But they learned from many kerises they sold. They were like reading books, and books, and books. Keris blade, or old keris blade is the keris book itself. You know it well...
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote