View Single Post
Old 21st March 2016, 01:31 AM   #3
rickystl

Hi Miguel.

That is a very nice looking pair of Ottoman styled horse pistols. And, thanks to the information supplied by Corrado, we could place these pistols in the second or third quarter of the 18th Century, which would be a real plus. (Assuming the locks and barrels were not re-used later to re-stock the pistols. But I don't think so in this case). And I note the brass European style triggers. Giving us another clue to possible European assembly. But they could also have been assembled at one of the gun making centers in the Balkans, utilizing the European locks and barrels. We'll probably never know for sure. But these pistols give strong clues of possible European manufacture for export to the Ottoman market.
Noting the missing patina, the wood, and the location of the front barrel pin, it does indeed look like there were originally reinforcing bands at the muzzle. Which would also be common for these pistols. Curious they are missing considering the great condition and completeness of the rest of the gun. Hmmm.
Another interesting note: Notice the lack of a screwdriver slot on the outside of the decorative hammer screws. This leads me to believe the hammer is held fast to the tumbler from inside the lock. It's not unheard of, but you seldom see this feature on locks. Very interesting.
Again, great looking pair!!!
Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote