View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2011, 07:30 PM   #21
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb
Hey David.....Great story! Were you looking for the Kris when you found it or did you just see it and become interested? Where I live people seem to be most interested in anything American and not so much antiques from other parts of the world. How many pieces do you have now and do you have any advice for a life long antique collector and first time Kris owner? I am interested in building a collection.

Thanks Again,

Tim
This was very many years ago and at the time i had no idea what it was. I brought it into the Arms & Armor curator at Met in NYC for ID. But from there i slowly became addicted. Though my interest shifted more toward the Indonesian keris form i now own more Moro kris and Indo keris than i have counted as of late.
My best advice for building a collection is to find a dealer(s) that you know you can trust. Deals exist on ePray and you can find them in the antique malls at times, but if you are not well versed in what you are looking for it is really easy to be fooled by modern repros and outright fakes.
Also read all you can on the subject here, in books and on the internet. Study the culture along with the weapon for a better understanding.
David is offline   Reply With Quote