View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Jim,
Thank you for the info.

So, am I to understand that manufacture of typical tulwars ( with Tulwar handle) for military purposes was continued well into mid-20s century?

I am not referring to Cold Steel and such.

I am not sure of just how long they were produced, but certainly seem to have been into probably around 1910 and for certain ceremonial wear longer. John Wilkinson-Latham is the guy to talk to, Ive long lost touch with him though. With the constant production of tulwars of average grade in Rajasthan (still active) it would not be surprising if they were contracted there.
Many Native cavalry units were present with British forces in the Peking matter in China in 1900, and Bengal and other lancers were active in certain WWI campaigns. It seems though that most of these units were using sabres of vintage British cavalry types such as M1796 .I have seen these used by the 13th Bengal Lancers, as confirmed by a British general I visited and who led a mounted charge in the Khyber region in 1931. There were the much standard three bar (1829) form which had varied blade lengths for Madras and Bengal, and the M1853 pattern (many of which were produced by Rodwell & Co. but mostly for private security forces).

I once had a pair of the brass hilt tulwars marked 'MOLE' but these are rarely seen and no elaboration was available....perhaps they just had the Mole blades (many of the 1829 types used his blades).
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote