View Single Post
Old 19th February 2021, 02:11 AM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These military officers swords were designed 'after' the styling of the civilian smallsword in general at the end of the 18th century,and carrying forth the traditional styling as favored by the gentry and high station men who used them. While the popularity of the small sword which endured through the 18th century had effectively ended, the nature of military conservativism lent to their keeping these designs for dress type swords.

These were clearly not designed for the kind of use employed with the small sword, though the blade was light, the hilt was not structured for any sort of 'fast' sword play. They were certainly not intended for combat, and if I recall the British heavy cavalry officers sword (M1796) of this 'type' was taken to the Peninsula by many officers, who absolutely hated them.

Still for formal occasions, levees and parade, these stylish swords served well.

The observation by Mark on possible influence from French styling is quite possible, if not likely in some degree. French edged weapon styles carried heavy sway toward designs of a number of countries, and while not necessarily 'copied' the influenced elements were often present even if subtly.
The one occasion can think of that was converse was with the British officers spadroon of c. 1780s which had a neoclassic hilt with five ball motiif. This design was indeed copied in degree by French hilt makers, who called the design l'Anglaise (the English).

As for going to sea, there is nothing that would preclude any officer from taking these as their favored weapon on any voyage. Choice of weapons were an officers perogative.

It is great to see these Portuguese examples of these swords, as most resources I have access to include these versions, which I agree with Mark, are outstanding.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote