View Single Post
Old 10th January 2006, 05:01 AM   #14
Emanuel

Salutari, Radu

Since I started this thread I have got my hands on whatever could be found on the net, and I did read the article you posted, thank you. I was confused as some point about the sica, as it was identified as a short sword http://www.dacia.co.ro/am.html
I will ask the family back home to look into the local libraries for good material on this.

When I was a child, I remember visiting a museum in Bucuresti -no idea which one- and seeing the copy of Trajan's Column. Although a tribute to Trajan's victory, it is indirectly a tribute to Dacia and the valour of her people. I must admit that I see this weapon as as symbol of one of the highest points of Dacia/Romania, a time when we held our own against foes like mighty Rome
My misfortune is that I was brought to Canada early in life and I did not learn the history of the Dacians, or of Romania for that matter. What I know now is but a fraction.

The man in the picture is not me , I believe he was a member of a group of smiths and historical re-enactors in the US. He had it custom made and there was talk of commercializing the replica...unfortunately nothing came of it. I contacted a smith here in Canada to forge a falx, but, estimated at 1000USD and based on a doubtful model lacking accurate dimensions and characteristics, the idea had to be scrapped.

I would very much enjoy chatting with you on this topic, especially as few people - Romanians included - seem to know of this weapon.
Ragards.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote