View Single Post
Old 17th August 2023, 12:31 AM   #16
RobT

Default I Cannot Remain Silent

Hi All,

I went back and forth for an entire day before finally deciding to make this post. I really don't like to get up on a soapbox and I sincerely hope no one is offended but the mention in this thread of a hilt epoxied in place made my skin crawl. Normally, I would preface my remarks with "in my opinion" but in this case I will say without the slightest equivocation that components of antique or collectible weapons should never be affixed by any method or with any substance that would require damage to any of the pieces to get them loose again. Epoxy is at the top of the list of things to be avoided. For securing hilts, cutler's resin is sufficient, easy to make, and easy to undo with heat. There are a number of online how-to videos with various formulae. Even for repairing a crack in wood, epoxy is undesirable because it is thick and will leave a glue line. Modern cross link polymer and cyanoacrylate glues are appropriate for these types of repairs if dry clamping shows that the crack can be drawn together and glued invisibly. Again, I hope that I didn't offend anybody but I couldn't let this go. I am sure that, if there are any forum members that are involved with antique furniture restoration, they will agree with me wholeheartedly.

Sincerely,
RobT

Last edited by RobT; 17th August 2023 at 12:39 AM. Reason: add'l info
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote