View Single Post
Old 13th August 2023, 08:28 AM   #1
xasterix

Default Later-era saber kris for comment

Hello, would just like to check if anyone in the forum has a provenanced sample of this particular saber kris type. I believe this iteration was made later on (WW2 era to even postWW2). It is monosteel, and the construction of the blade is mono (no separate gangya). I'm inclined to think this was made in Mindanao.

When I got it, I realized the detached hilt and asang-asang didn't belong to the kris, but probably sourced from another. The tang and clamp attachment cannot fit into the hilt, and the discrepancy is so large that I'm inclined to think the non-fit is NOT due to shrinkage. I decided to have a modern Maranao hilt made, and attached a vintage brass ferrule that I got from a dilapidated Maranao kris. I didn't attach an asang-asang anymore because it was mono-construction anyway, and the carved art extends into the "vacant" area for the clamp.

The blade measures 21in, and it's springy (as I expected monosteel to be) and heavy. I think this is definitely a battle kris, and not simply for adornment.

TIA for your comments!
Attached Images

Last edited by xasterix; 13th August 2023 at 09:20 AM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote