View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Rick, I've been hoping someone might offer translating assist, but not so I guess. From what I know on these Indian tulwars, that cartouche placed in this location on Indian tulwar blades seems to be found on examples from the northwest. As such the ones I have seen were suggested to be in Urdu, however I don't know if translatable.
I have always wondered if these were either some sort of talismanic symbol (rather like a buduh) or possibly an armory (info on these is scant at best).
It is not a makers mark.

In Rawson, there is a tulwar which has this type mark in this configuration, and once had an 18th century tulwar blade with it, along with a trisula in the blade center. That cartouche was Urdu but never translated.
Another example tulwar, had this cartouche in same spot, and the blade center mark was a katar.

Perhaps these were some type of talismanic or quality device, which were sometimes accompanied by a device in the central part of the blade for other purpose augmenting the cartouche.

Not much help, but an idea of possible meanings in the mysteries of the auspicious affectations on Indian arms.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote