View Single Post
Old 21st June 2007, 08:59 AM   #11
Pangeran Datu

AsWrWb

Hi Eli,

First of all, I’m not absolutely sure what you mean by ‘Keris Panjang’ (= Long Keris).

If by Keris Panjang you mean an oversized keris, then they were usually used for ceremonies. Among the oversized Kerises in my collection, I have a wavy Jawa blade that is about 90cm. long, about 1.5 cm. thick at its thickest point and with a ganja about 12 cm. in length; I have even LARGER Sundangs.

However, if you’re referring to the slim, long-bladed keris being touted as ‘Executioner Keris’, then here is my take:

This type of keris originated in central Sumatra around 15th – 16th C, in a place called Bangkinang. A Bangkinang keris is usually between about 50 cm – 70 cm. Apart from its elongated straight blade, also characteristic of the Bangkinang keris is its very ornate scabbard, with the cross-piece being generally and notionally, a crescent moon.
It was mainly the preserve of the local aristocracy/functionaries.
When Bangkinang was thrust into prominence, its keris became a saleable commodity.
This spread its manufacture to other areas, which created their own copies.
It became popular among peninsular Malays and was probably enhanced by the fact that at least one of its notable families had roots in Bangkinang.
This type of keris also became popular among seamen, especially Bugis seamen, who preferred a shorter version, about 40 cm. – 50 cm. in length (more suitable for shipboard use). Thus the term ‘Bahari’ was coined (bahar = sea).

The Bangkinang Long Keris and versions of it are spread throughout the archipelago, e.g. Lombok, Java, Borneo, Sumatra, Malay Peninsula. Some versions are also wavy-bladed.
How it evolved into an ‘executioner keris, a symbol of authority etc. could be due to many factors.

WRT … Executions… Traditionally, particularly in Java, keris executions were carried out using normal kerises (whatever was being worn at the time, there was no special type of ‘execution’ keris). It was reserved for the execution of members of the aristocracy/upper class and carried out by ‘peers’. Only on rare occasions would a mere palace guard/soldier be given authority to carry out an execution using a keris and then, usually using the condemned’s own.
Lesser mortals were subject to beheadings and the like.
This changed by the time of Mataram (Islam), when even aristocrats such as regents could be subject to beheadings.

Cheers.

WsWrWb
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote