View Single Post
Old 19th December 2022, 12:23 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default M1914 PATTON cavalry sword

In conjunction with a Canadian (British) M1908 cavalry sword (posted on the European forum), and as such exceeded the year 1900 cutoff for viable discussion, I hope I might continue here.

I had noted the M1913 Patton cavalry sword which was the American counterpart to the British M1908 cavalry sword, and wanted to post this example. The M1913 pattern was declared obsolete in 1918 but apparently the LF& C firm completed its contract in 1919..this is one of those swords.

The US 1913 'Patton' swords were never used in combat in WWI, nor in any combat, however were used in civil or police action in some 'events'.
In the early part of WWII, many of these were cut down and used as 'trench' or fighting knives, but do not have details handy.

I would note here that the Canadian M1908 posted by Will on European did have notable service as carried by the 19th Dragoons in a gallant cavalry charge in 1918. The British M1908 was used through the campaigns in Mesopotamia, known as the 'Allenby' sword.

I had the great honor of handling the M1912 officers version of the M1908 which was carried by Brig. Francis Ingall in a charge near Khyber Pass on the plains in 1931. He proudly shared this with me as he spoke of that event.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote