View Single Post
Old 17th April 2009, 02:08 PM   #7
celtan

You are most welcome, we are here to learn what we can from each other.

: )

Please notice the "chuzo" presented here is of 19th C make, and measures almost seven feet, which is too short for a "true" pike, like those used by the Tercios. OTOH, just like pikes, chuzos were not designed to be thrown, like a true lance or Roman pilum would.

Then, many "lances" were never meant to be thrown, like the ones used in jousting.

This type of weapon is designed to be held, and for stabbing, like a japanese yari.

In Spain, often times the terms pikes and lances are used interchangeably, although if it has a hatchet or hook at its end, it's invariably called a "Pica"(Pike).

I'd like to point out that "chuzo" is a word with negative connotations in regards to quality, sugesting something cheaply made. I fact, any piece of wood may be called a chuzo...

Best

Manuel Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Thanks for coming in on this, Celtan. I was wondering if these were more in the pike or lance catagory. I know both existed in New Spain. The point with the 4 sided head second down on Fernando's posted thread looks like the detached head of another piece that I have (not the discussed pike I started with) sans the straps. Were these points universally used on both pikes and lances by the Spanish, or were there any differences?
Will try and post pics of the pike soon...
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote