View Single Post
Old 26th March 2024, 07:11 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In accord with the case with earlier hilts paired with later blades, this is a c1750 munitions grade British basket hilt of the form produced by Jeffries and Drury in London. These were known to be used by the Black Watch as well as several other infantry units.
At the end of the American Revolution the carrying of swords by infantry units effectively ended, with numbers of these swords of course being put into stores. At some point it appears several of these were paired with M1788 light cavalry saber blade......by whom or for whom is unclear.

I recall many years ago in my quest for the presumed M1788 heavy cavalry sword, which of course had the straight single edged dragoon type blade (despite the light cavalry moving to the hussar type saber).......I found an example of the claimed hilt form...basket type hilt. However, this had a heavy, curved saber blade.
Soon I decided this, with curved blade, did not seem quite proper for the example I needed (as per Robson, it was about 1977) so I let it go.

These are examples of hilts paired incongruently with other blades, and in particular the c. 1750s hilt mounted with 1788 light cavalry saber blade.

It would seem of course that these kinds of pairings might have to do with yeomanry units perhaps, or traditionally held hilts given newer blades.
Whatever the case, it does not seem an altogether unusual instance.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote