View Single Post
Old 16th August 2020, 10:27 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

In recent times, perhaps it is common in Solo Jean.

There is a network of keris people all across Jawa, when a term becomes popular with people in one place it can be picked up by people in another place, particularly if one wishes to sell to those people.

Over the last 20 years or so more than a little new terminology has entered the keris lexicon, and this is only a reflection of the nature of language generally. My intensive education in keris began in about 1974, and it slowed down in 1995 when my principal teacher, Empu Suparman Supowijoyo passed, it came to a dead stop in 2014 when my other teacher, Pande Seni Keris Pauzan Pusposukadgo passed. Pak Pauzan, or Pak Pus as he was known to his friends would never accept the honorific of "Empu", it conflicted with his religious beliefs.

So, you see Jean, my way of speaking, writing and thinking about keris is stuck in a time warp:- I am not at all well educated in the language of Jakarta dealers, nor of those who populate the fringes of the World of the Javanese Keris, and when I consider the other ways in which the word "corok" is used, and the fact that I have only heard & seen it used in recent times as a keris descriptor, frankly, I would prefer not to use it.

Others, of course, can use whatever language they wish, it is everybody's prerogative to express themselves in whatever way they wish.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 17th August 2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: clarification.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote