View Single Post
Old 24th January 2021, 08:16 PM   #36
scinde

Default Indian Army Cavalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
The original 19c yellow and navy blue nylon paracord sword knot (portapee), for display and combat purposes only. There is a blue ranger bead slider knot for tightening it on the wrist just above where the knot is dropped thru the guard which was slid further up for the earlier photo.

I did unwrap it and pushed it aside for the photo above, but I did leave it on in the slot in the knuckle guard to better contrast the pommel bit.
Thanks very much for posting the photos, and from what I can see, the bottom of the pommel cap where if meets the end of the grip is sloped (if looked at from the side); this feature is characteristic of other Indian Army hilts I've seen. Another feature which is not so obvious, is that the thumb-guard bar-work in the inside of the guard, is broader and flatter and not so fine as on some other light cavalry pattern hilts associated with the Indian Army.

Although difficult to tell from a photo, I assume that the blade would be around 30 1/2" inches, measured in a straight line from the face of guard at shoulder, to the tip of point; width at shoulder about 1 1/2" inches. Having said that, some blades may have lost metal owing to repeated sharpening, or even the very tip broken off the point , which I have seen on the odd example.
scinde is offline   Reply With Quote