View Single Post
Old 18th April 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Iain,
Thank you for the photo of this fascinating sword in the hand, that indeed adds great perspective. So often seeing weapons illustrated without context gives distorted views of thier actual size.

The blade on this is most interesting with its median ridge, and that it is essentially a sabre type blade with a curious uptick at the point. While I cannot offer a great deal of direct suggestion as to possible associations at this point, I have seen a similar presence of this feature elsewhere. In studying the 'uptick' on the blade of espada anchas in Spanish colonial setting I was once told this was for thrust and upward cut. While certainly these espadas are outside the sphere with reference to this Chamba weapon, it is notable that the Spanish influences from Moroccan regions certainly were carried to Spains America's.

Looking into earlier history in North Africa, it has long been established that weapons and influences were deeply ingrained in long standing native traditions from these times. Looking at the downturned quillons on the crossguard one cannot discount recalling this feature on the Jineta or Hispano-Moresque swords of medieval times. Returning to the uptick on the blade, certainly not a feature from this context where broadswords were used, it seems I have seen it on examples of Moroccan/Algerian sa'if (often termed nim'cha).

Although these are essentially Moroccan influences I am citing, the well established trade routes moving southward into these regions would have easily been present in Chamba regions just as these networks were ever present throughout North Africa. As always, admittedly free association only without further corroborating evidence with other examples, we can always hope to find other clues supporting or disputing these suggestions.

These are my thoughts prompted by this definitely thought provoking anomaly, and I really look forward to hearing others!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote