View Single Post
Old 13th October 2014, 05:16 PM   #29
Shakethetrees

Quote:
When a native has taken his weapon in hand he will oil it with his own sweat and remaining oil from food he has eaten before so all sorts of natural oil feeding the wood/horn or also ivory over decades and give it the so demanded patina. So why should linseed oil wrong for this parts?
But frankly said I never have oiled one of my shields.

Regards,
Detlef

This is based on the assumption that all oils are alike. Yes, the short term benefits of enlivening the wood (horn, ivory,or what have you) for most oils are the same, but the point I'm trying to make are the issues of long term changes.

Hand oils and the mild abrasion from use and handling that build up the patina most of us admire are not applied in one or two wet coats. It is built up slowly and incrementally over years.

On a similar note, when old leather has been treated with "feeding" applications, it is irreversibly changed for the worse. Dealers of antique leather items are, in the spirit of disclosure, listing these treatments so that collectors will know what they're getting into, and not return them later.

Once we begin to see the detrimental effects of oils and other "treatments", this can become the norm in this field as well, essentially devaluing the particular piece due to it being oiled or " fed".

When in doubt, do nothing. It's lasted this long without oil, why be proactive?
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote