View Single Post
Old 27th October 2020, 04:50 PM   #6
Klop

Talking

Hello Detlef, thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Hi Kai,

The blade is 2 mm thick/thin - wouldn't expect much more for a miniature if it's not meant as a functional weapon. However I still wouldn't like being cut or stabbed with this toy. In my hands it would be a push dagger with the stem between index and middle finger

I don't think this is as recent as you do, given workmanship, condition of the blade and the nice yellowish patin on the ivory. Detlefs guesstimate makes more sense to me. I cleaned the blade and gave it a hot water "etch" to see the pattern, that is what you're seeing now.

About the metal pin riddle, I'm not sure if the tang really is secured with the metal, my question was if this method is used on these daggers. I didn't expect that, rather tang in resin.

I can see a little bit inside the bulb through the next hole and there I see some of the metal protruding - but I can't see where it goes completely. In any case at this moment it is the only metal dot in the bulb, maybe there have been more in the past. It doesn't come out the other side like a mekugi on japanese swords. As for strength, that is not relevant for a miniature/souvenir but I'd say that if the Japanese have been using small bamboo pegs for centuries on fullsize swords in actual battle then a soft metal pin would be enough to fix the blade on a miniature dagger - again IF it touches the tang at all. I'm starting to think it doesn't and is in fact just another decoration dot.

Some more pics with scabbard deconstructed.

Kind regards,
Eric.
Attached Images

Klop is offline   Reply With Quote