View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you so much!!! and especially for adding the story!
That is entirely the whole reason for the life's course I began so young, because I loved history, and the swords were iconic.
How amazing it must have been to see Culloden. In our family geneology of course they were Highlanders, and we had ancestors out in both the '15 and '45. The other clans in our ancestry of course were also deeply involved in much other of the history in the Highlands.

I had no idea of the Swedish situation, though I know Scots had been meercenaries in the North European regions much earlier. Prince Charlie ended up back in France, and I know there was a notable Jacobite diaspora after Culloden.
Jim, Scotland is fantastic! Culloden is a very beautiful place but also a little sad.

Coincidentally my maternal grandfather’s grandmother was called Ouchterlony (Scottish descent). Her grandfather’s grandfather John Ouchterlony was from Dundee (near Montrose and the Guynd) and settled in Karlshamn, Sweden in 1748, where he became a merchant navy ship captain. I don’t know if he was at Culloden in 1746.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote