View Single Post
Old 1st October 2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Yes that’s an amazing sword, Jim. Lots of history in that one. Love the patina. I visited the battlefield of Culloden once when I was in Scotland. Some of the Scotsmen managed to escape to safety in Sweden: ” After the Battle of Culloden in 1745, one George Carnegie, who in the battle had fought against his elder brother, fled to the hills of Flenesk and Glenmark with James Carnegie, Laird of Balnamoon and an Ochterlony of Guynd. The three rebels shortly escaped in an open boat from Montrose, were picked up by a Swedish ship, and landed safely in Gothenburg.” (Source: https://electricscotland.com/history/sweden/18.htm)

Thank you so much!!! and especially for adding the story!
That is entirely the whole reason for the life's course I began so young, because I loved history, and the swords were iconic.
How amazing it must have been to see Culloden. In our family geneology of course they were Highlanders, and we had ancestors out in both the '15 and '45. The other clans in our ancestry of course were also deeply involved in much other of the history in the Highlands.

I had no idea of the Swedish situation, though I know Scots had been meercenaries in the North European regions much earlier. Prince Charlie ended up back in France, and I know there was a notable Jacobite diaspora after Culloden.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote