View Single Post
Old 28th June 2009, 03:56 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default An (other) hand cannon ... with marks

I assume i am not (yet) a cannon maniac, but rumours run out there in a way that a distinct member of this Forum spotted this fascinating example in a (Spanish) website and engaged in the whole process to acquire it and forward it to me.
I assume it is a great satisfaction to everyone when a piece holds marks, namely those of the maker; even if not identifiable, which sometimes is a question of time ... at least one always hopes so.
This one has 15,5 cms length and a 19 mm calibre.
Particular care was taken by the smith at finishing its rear end; faceted sides and an upper edge much more pronounced than the bottom, suggesting actual accomodation of the late to a stock bed ... i would say, within my expertize .
The marks are in an usual position and, as i said, i hope to see or hear about similar ones some day.
The stock was first ordered for a small cannon i have acquired a few weeks ago, but i rushed to the carpenter to alter the measurements to fit this specific one, as i see it more invinting for an immediate stock project.
The wood is kambala (the name alone excites me); the (crossbow type) shape is roughly based on the example from the Suhl Museum, posted in this forum by Michael.
Now i will have to go to the smith to organize the barrel bands.
I would feel rather comfortable with receiving your Gentlemen's opinnions ... either satisfactory or desillusive
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote