View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2021, 03:35 PM   #6
M ELEY

Thank you gentlemen for all replying.

Jim, thank you for providing the caliber of the barrel, .69! A big barrel that could put down any mutiny! There is a pistol exactly like mine in the Greenwich Maritime Museum as used by the Brits...

Richard G, I would agree if in a land battle. But considering that all firearms were one-shot and melee combat on the deck made reloading almost impossible (these boarding actions were often completed or repelled in mere minutes!), I don't think it would be a poor choice. I also hate to bring up lagrage, as I know many point out this ruins the gun, but there are instances where this did take place. A smooth barrel such as this could fire whatever was crammed down the barrel (think 'partridge shot'), making a mess of a group of charging sailors. It is a very heavy piece and would have made a good club afterward, which sounds archaic, but think about the belaying pins and blunt cutlasses often used in such dust-ups.

Pukka, you bring up a good point! Really, with the exception of the EIC over the star mark, illegible small stamp and V(?) over crown, there isn't any other marking, so perhaps this wasn't an exported example?

Which brings us to Fernando K's question as to whether it is a V or W? The stamp isn't very clear. I guess it could be a W, meaning strictly a Belgian mark.

My question is if it is only Belgian marked, could it still be a sea service 'private purchase' weapon? Weapons carried by non-naval frigates and such didn't have ordinance marks, did they? I know that is the case for edged weapons/axes, but not sure about fire arms??? I'll have another look at that marking with a magnifying glass...

Last edited by M ELEY; 3rd February 2021 at 03:46 PM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote