View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 12:35 PM   #22
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
...Most forensic Fernando, so the context determines which category an item is classified...
In way, yes; no cop is going to knock at your door, claiming that you have a few 'weapons' in the kitchen ... not in my neck of the woods, nor anywhere else, i presume.

Quote:
... I guess the qualifying denominator is , what was the item's original intended purpose, or in fact, its primary purpose. Obviously a kitchen knife does not qualify as a weapon, though, like many items,, it might become a 'weapon of opportunity'...
The way i view it, the consideration of whether a (any) implement, is of this or that intended purpose, is more a case for a judge in court. Prior to that, weapons classification falls within a pre-determined written law. And of course such law depends on the country we are talking about. Over by me, and for perusal, while a firearm produced before 1890 is considered obsolete and not subject to legal manifest, a white arm is never considered obsolete, its possession being ilegal; unless submitted to legalization ... but that is another business.

Quote:
... In police situations today, just as in colonial times in many spheres, a machete is considered a weapon.
I would imagine the best measure in all this is simply common sense...
Of course; you wouldn't use a machete to cut potatoes for your stew .

Quote:
... perspectives though.
I like to see you well versed, Jim my friend .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote