View Single Post
Old 1st February 2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Before we get too carried away with the possible age of your sword, however, we need to determine when these statues were made and for how long that style of sword was produced. This is clearly not a 300+ year old sword IMO. I am a little concerned about the shape of the blade, which narrows slightly as it passes from the hilt towards the tip and then widens. This feature is seen today on some swords from Thailand (especially northern Thailand) and in my experience is not found to any great degree on older Tai/Lao work. It does raise the possibility of a newer blade with an old Lao hilt. The blade has been cleaned extensively and it is hard to date it without a much closer inspection. To my eye, the hilt is the oldest piece of this daab.

Given these caveats, I think your daab could be mid- to late-19th C, possibly a little earlier, while the scabbard looks maybe late 19th C at the oldest (just judging from the patina on the rattan wrap and the fact that the rattan is still intact). There is a possibility that the daab could be a marriage of a more recent blade with an older hilt.
Thank you Ian for your elaborate comment. The blade shape is for sure something what need to be observed. Of course could be there the possibility that the blade is of later manufacture. We will know more when I have received the sword and the blade has received a polish and etch. That the scabbard couldn't be old as the sword is clear but I am happy that it is complete and with this nice patina.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote