View Single Post
Old 29th June 2013, 10:52 AM   #6
dolly-dagger

Thumbs up Totokia-Tuki

Hi Vandoo,
Thank you.Yes, the large Totokia does have some unusual design elements added to the face of the club.There is a similar example in an old Sotheby's catalogue that I have,as well as the one in the French publication of Fijian weapons,one in the group of the images that you posted regarding the Totokia History.This Totokia is a rather large example,with the diameter of the head 7-1/2 inches,and measures 6-1/2 inches from the back of the head to the end of the point.The carving to the handle is 9 inches,and the handle is 2 inches wide,and overall length is about 35 inches,and indeed carved in a bit more complicated style than the norm.I will try to add some more images.It appears that you have a good knowledge of Fijian.I have been told that most, if not all of their club styles derived from nature? Would you know the origins of the Totokia? I am going to try posting the smaller black earlier temple totokia,It retains 90+ percent of the original aha/sennit/magimagi fiber to the base of the handle,and has dried brain matter/blood to the head.Take Care
Attached Images

dolly-dagger is offline   Reply With Quote