View Single Post
Old 30th March 2024, 12:29 AM   #12
RobT

Default Eric Says 20th Century

Sajen,

I said that, “I have also never seen what I consider a 19th century koummya with the rings riveted to the lugs.” In the chapeau de gendarme text below the picture, Eric Claude dates his example to the early 20th century. His is a truly beautiful example with both a superb blade, hilt, and sheath. Frankly, I don’t own (nor have I ever seen) a koummya with riveted rings as old or as finely wrought as Eric Claude’s example so I can readily believe that it was made in the early 20th century when daily carry (necessitating heavy lugs) was going out of fashion in some areas but the wish for a quality side arm for social occasions remained.
As for the second example, whatever the stamp on the sheath may say, may not be true. Certainly, the blade and hilt aren’t as finely made as the first example and one would think that the blade from that time period would be more substantial. Anyone, for any reason may add a date. I have seen a number of Philippine style bowies that were dated 1945 but, considering the quality of workmanship, I have considered doubtful.

Sincerely,
RobT

Last edited by RobT; 30th March 2024 at 12:40 AM. Reason: add'l info
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote