View Single Post
Old 5th March 2024, 10:52 AM   #9
CutlassCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
So, this isn't a Lead Cutter, but a naval Cutlass? Thank you for the information. Can you tell me why it is unusual to have a "low rack number:" I would have thought each vessel had to start at the number "1."
A frigate would carry at least 100 cutlasses - more on larger vessels - so the chances of one with a single digit number surviving are 10 to 1. Move that to bayonets where there are tens of thousands then a low serial number would be even rarer.

It was not standard practice to number cutlasses - depended on the ship. If they were, it was on the cutlass itself with often a brass diamond rivetted to the guard.
Cutlasses were racked and only a few scabbards were carried for guard duty and shore patrol.

In the 1890s, I would guess, that for a merchant vessel they would carry no more than a handful of cutlasses complete with scabbards. Mainly for guard duty in dodgy ports!

On your cutlass there is a button on the side of the handle - not seen on gov issue - and may indicate a safety catch to hold it in the scabbard. Is there a spring loaded catch underneath the guard and a slot in the scabbard?
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote