View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2024, 11:31 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar View Post
... and steel is like painted.
Thank you serdar for your helpful comments. I am familiar with many of the northern Indian knives you refer to, with similar bird's eye forge-welded patterns in the blades. However, I don't understand how the decoration on the hilt and scabbard were done. It does not appear to be koftgari or inlay work. When I run my finger over it, the pattern feels slightly raised. The designs are in various colors and you mention that "the steel is like painted." Can you explain that please. I don't understand how you paint polished metal. Some of the strokes present on this piece are so fine that they could be done only with a single hair. I know Mughal miniaturists painted portraits using a single haired brush for fine detail, but those were expert craftsmen in the employ of rich people.

Gavin, thank you also for the reference to recent work from Rajahstan. I'm familiar with those blade forms. Some of those pattern welded blades are indeed very similar. However, I return to the hilt and scabbard and ask whether you can refer me to similar recent examples from northern India, and also explain how this effect is achieved in multiple colors and fine detail. I'm happy to provide additional pictures of the initial example on this thread if that will help.

I'm asking for my own interest and information for my friend also.

Last edited by Ian; 23rd January 2024 at 11:56 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote