View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:25 AM   #36
Victrix

I saw some interesting and relevant pictures in Peter Krenn and Walter Karcheski’s “Imperial Austria, Treasures of Art, Arms & Armour from the State of Styria” (1998).

The first picture shows armour for an infantry or light cavalry officer, 1555-21, probably made in Innsbruck (Austria). Of interest here is the lobed edges/heartshaped rounded crenelations on the top of the armour plates which is similar to my zischägge. There are also brass rivets (presumably removed from my helmet).

The second picture shows armour for a hussar: cuirass, mail shirt and Hungarian-style helmet (zischägge), 1590-1600, made in Graz. Interestingly the helmet skull is fluted. This type of helmet originated in Turkey/Ottoman empire known as cicek and was adopted in Eastern Europe in 16thC and Western Europe in 17thC.

The third picture shows an interior view of the Landeszeughaus Graz (armoury) with another classic medieval hussar outfit on the right, again with a fluted helmet. The fluted area helps to absorb stun impacts by maces and war hammers popular in Eastern Europe and the Ottoman empire.
Attached Images

Last edited by Victrix; 3rd May 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote