View Single Post
Old 12th October 2007, 01:42 AM   #21
Tomb22

Thumbs up

Ok, now I know that the posts go to the end, unless there is something else I could have done to put it next to the post I was responding too. Sorry, to waste your time with these kind of logistics things.

In the pictures that I am uploading with this post, I think that you can see the rivet situation a little better. It does seem that the thought of the blade and hilt not being born together might bear weight. It does look like the koftgari does not take the rivet into consideration. Good observation RSWORD. These new pictures might support that thought.

Concerning the pin holes (piercings). I still can't seem to get a very good picture of them, will keep trying. However, in the pictures of Ward's cool blade, you can see the pin holes really well. The ones in my hilt are very similar and very small, all in the dark areas between the koftgari. They just don't seem big enough to me to be used to attach anything. It would have to be the size of a piece of fine string or like very thin fishing line.

So, under the assumption that these two parts were not "born together," would that lend credence to the comments from the Gatka site that indicated riveted blades were 16th - 17th century and were generally European?

If you look at the hilt where the rivets are, if there had been another blade, it appears like it too would have been riveted?? The Jamadhar's that I have seen that were one piece with the blade at the hilt almost as wide as the hilt, doesn't seem to fit into this picture somehow??

And again, not challenging anyone, just thinking out loud - if it were a 2nd blade, and the first one was also riveted, would there be any other indication?
Would there be more disturbed or irregular metal. Were they good enough to pop the old rivets out and put in new ones without leaving any evidence? As you know I have no real experience and knowledge except the great things I am learning here so feel free to "correct" my thoughts.

In a previous post, in talking about the two "Cobra Swords," the Oriental Arms folks indicated their blades which are similar to this one, are an "Indian Straight blade bulged at the ricasso."

Whew, now I see part of the enjoyment you gentlemen get from this. Thinking about all the various possibilities and then about "What does that mean?" sort of boggles the mind - great fun!
Thanks again for all of the interest and comments. Your thoughts are keeping me going, looking for more answers.

Kind regards,
Tom
Attached Images

Tomb22 is offline   Reply With Quote