View Single Post
Old 7th October 2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Tomb22

Default A Unique Kattar?

Gentlemen: I am new to this forum. I have what appears to be a somewhat unique Katar. It has serrated edges. The blade is much more slender than the pictures I have seen on this site and elsewhere. The handle is quite small and the protective bars are considerably shorter then the ones you have shown. It is riveted which according to the Gatka site, indicates 16th to 17th century European blade. There is an interesting design on the blade, near the hilt of a Tiger biting a deer. The blade is 41.3 cm long. Overall length is 55.9 cm.

I am looking for more information about history. Have any of you seen this style before? I have been told the following about the blade by a very nice gentleman whose picture sure makes sense as follows:

"The blade is from a "Cobra" sword. Here is a near-identical one: http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1941 . Artzi Yarom from Oriental-Arms has it listed as an Indo-Afghan Pahari sword, but I understand its origin is more likely the Deccan (central Indian plateau). 16th century is likely, these blades are old and rare, and certainly local, not European."

The same gentleman indicated that there are several folks on this forum that have significant knowledge about Kattars. I would really appreciate your comments about any history or understanding about the attached pictures.

Thank you,
Tom Binford
Attached Images

Tomb22 is offline   Reply With Quote