View Single Post
Old 16th September 2020, 03:26 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Bryce,
Thank you so very much for these excellent examples, photos and material. It seems there is ample evidence that these recurved quillon examples were indeed used by the15th LD, and we know from 1763. While we do not know if these date from the 1759 raising of the regiment, it may be presumed so.

I had not been aware of the name Eliott's Horse for the 15th, but found that Gen. George Augustus Eliott was 1st Baron Heathfield, and did raise the 15th as one of the first of the 'new' light dragoon units. The 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th followed it seems in the same year.
Eliott seems to have been quite innovative and keyed to the arms of the unit, so it does not seem surprising that these apparently uniquely styled hilts were commissioned. He appears to have modified a pistol in use which became known as a pattern 1759.

The Light Dragoons were decided upon as result of testing the concept in 1756. It seems the swords used in this test were of the brass 'heart' shaped guard (as on the '1751' infantry hangers) but with longer blade.

In the article by Philip Lankester (Royal Armouries, op. cit.2004) he notes the sword which is virtually the same as my example (OP) in fig. 9, p.53.
It is noted that Jeffries supplied 3500 broad swords with iron basket hilts to the Board of Ordnance and discusses his characteristic markings IEF/RIS under GR and crown.
It is noted that this same mark was used on cavalry swords for 'other ranks' .
Here it says that 140 of a single 'pattern' are displayed at 'Guardroom' at Belvoir Castle, Leicesatershire and that the Royal Armouries has a single example of the same 'pattern'(ix2130) puchased in 1981.

"...the blade is 36.5" long and almost straight and the iron hilts have a knuckle-guard which widens slightly to form a slotted guard in front of the hand".

Further, '..it is not known which regiment or regiments used this 'pattern'."

The implication here is that this mysterious 'pattern' appears to have been made by Jeffries in 1759? or thereabouts. We know the example shown is by Jeffries, the mark is shown (fig. 8).
As previously mentioned my example is deeply pitted so marks cannot be seen. Interestingly, the example in the Royal Armouries is specifically noted as not 'cleaned or conserved' as purchased (1981).
As I purchased my example in 1977, it would seem coincidental that these 'rough' examples were circulating in this period at least in small quantity.

So we have no proof of this being a 15th LD sword (it is simply termed cavalry sword 1760-70 in the literature), but speculation based on the blade style with clipped point from the D guard example of c. 1780 .

It would seem that it is certain this curious 'pattern' was indeed a cavalry sword of 1760-70 (in 1770s branches were added to these guards).
We know Jeffries made them (as per examples with marked blades), but that he indeed made the recurved blade examples for the 15th as discussed.

Here is where the comparisons become muddled. It would seem the olive pommel and slotted guard were features that became popular more toward 1770. It seems that these clipped point blades also were notable in these swords for light dragoons in this later period.

Given those facts, it seems probable at this point that my sword may be later than the 1759 date I had hoped for because of these features, but does seem to correspond to the single 'pattern' mentioned in the Lankester article and certainly 1760-70 period as noted for 'cavalry'.

Whatever the case, it seems a relatively rare pattern (though not regulation of course) as it does not appear in the most comprehensive reference (Neumann, 1973) and is noted to be represented in Belvoir castle by the 140 examples (as of 2004) and single example Royal Armouries.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 16th September 2020 at 05:44 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote