View Single Post
Old 20th July 2020, 03:46 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

[QUOTE=Bryce]No worries Jim,
I am just glad that you took an interest.
Cheers,
Bryce[/QUOT

Interest LOL!
This has been an obsession for more years than I can say, decades really. I guess my interest was beginning to wane, not that 75 is old but your posts on this piqued my interest into overdrive....so THANK YOU!!
I had just hoped that these references as cited would be supportive for what you were saying, and to correct my error.

Also, what I am noting about the character of these markings is to suggest there is something unique and anomalous about them which may have further insight into these sword operations of Hounslow during the Civil Wars.
As I had noted earlier, while Hounslow was producing the cavalry 'mortuaries' it was also producing hangers specifically for maritime use.
"Maritime" of course included the EIC, and again, I think personally that finishing markings placed on the blades which we see were coming from Germany might well have had influences key to individuals with connection to EIC shipping. If so, using the ANDREA FERARA moniker, as so often on cavalry blades (my mortuary has one) might be customized with the flared serif styling of Chinese lettering (pidgin) to appeal to same.

That is my theory, but I profoundly doubt anyone will pursue it further.....I probably will, but that is what I do, study the history of these weapons, and again, I thank you for sharing this here.
OK, Im done rambling, thanks for your attention

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 20th July 2020 at 03:59 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote