View Single Post
Old 20th July 2020, 06:13 AM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Bryce, as indicated on concurrent thread, I have been going through references of English swords for hours, and am deeply in chagrin at my comments on Hounslow swords previously! Ouch!
It has been some time since revisiting earlier research, but still no excuse for the oversights in my comments, which I have discovered were profoundly in error.

To your example which is on M1788, as discussed, I found this in "Hounslow Hangers" by the late Tony North ( Park Lane Arms Fair, 2004, p.38.).
"...although the factory seems to have closed in the 1670s, the blades made at Hounslow were obviously prized. They are often found mounted in high quality English officers swords of early 18th c.". It is also noted these blades were often mounted in hunting swords of 1730's-40s' (these would be hanger blades).
Clearly the convention of mounting these Hounslow blades would have carried further in the century as well.

Regarding my notes on Hounslow workers leaving Hounslow to go to Oxford for Royalists, it seems that may not be correct also, as per Aylward ("The Small Sword in England", 1945.p.31). Aylward claims that no historic evidence that this happened, however it is noted that many London smiths had originally gone to Hounslow as well (the emphasis has always been on the German smiths). As London was strongly Parliamentarian, even if the Germans did leave, there would have been plenty of workers. It is noted that Hounslow was well organized at the time of the Civil,Wars (1642-1660).He notes further that Hounslow was producing 'the great sword" (= heavy blades for cavalry, proto mortuary types).

In "Some Swords Associated with Oliver Cromwell" by the late Claude Blair (12th Park Lane Arms Fair, 1995, p.26) it is noted that a large number of long heavy swords were sent down to London for Cromwell, which were being made at Hounslow (as Aylward notes).

These were of course likely Solingen blades, and it is noted in "Arms and Armor in Tudor & Stuart London" (M.R.Holmes, 1957. p.30-31) that Hounslow was producing single edge cavalry swords, as well as curved cutlasses for use at sea. It is noted also that requests specified 'Dutch' (=German, duetsch) blades in orders by 1640s.

The illustrations and examples cited in this reference repeatedly note mortuary swords from Hounslow with ME FECIT HOUNSLOE varied, some with maker names and dates , 1636 etc. and many have the running wolf, and other German inscriptions , clearly many blades were finished with the Hounslow markings.

On the fuller pattern, as indicated by Bryce, the asymmetrical fullers and the single flute do appear on MANY examples of mortuary, and from 1630s+ with some being seen as noted in "Catalog of Sword Collection at York Castle Museum" (P.R. Newman, 1985).

Re: Benjamin Stone, who was more an organizer than artisan, and his 'markings'. According to Aylward (1945, op.cit. p.34) in 1638 he petitioned the Privy Council that, "...he may have power of hindering stamping of Spanish and other marks upon blades made by workmen of cutlers co.".
DeCosson however noted (1920) that no forger was successful at reproducing the peculiar style of lettering on Toledo blades.

Stone had his own mark, a bunch of grapes, authorized by Cutlers Co. but unsure if any blades so marked is known.

With the ANDRIA FERARA on this blade of the OP, I still feel this has an 'oriental chop' type style with these flared serifs, and remain keen to know from where this might derive. We know there are at least two with such lettering, and I had hoped something might be in all these references cited, but none had such styling.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote