View Single Post
Old 17th July 2020, 05:01 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It might be a heirloom blade , and I did not realize these were 18th c. fuller pattern, but these mortuary examples speak volumes. If only the purveyors of imported blades had records of the decoration often applied to them as they were supplied to 'sword slippers' as per weapons for officers and gentry.

We know that certain 'Ferara' blades had numerous variations, for example certain known examples had the Wundes kings heads, four in number, which alternated with the Andrea Ferara letters. This feature is actually described in an article or some published document or ad. In many cases blades being sold in the 18th century were advertised, as described in Aylward ("The Small Sword in England", 1945).
We know that there was a 'fluer de lis' street located , I believe, in London, where imported blades were sold/auctioned in bundles, and many blades marked with fluer de lis device center blade are known, of 18th c. There is a long held convention that this device signals French attribution, however clearly it is not.

With these interesting, to my eye at least, letters (the misspelled Andrea not withstanding) which seem to be oriental, specifically Chinese, there seems a possibility of some connection to the East Indies trade. Officers would commission swords of course, which signifies India, however there were Chinese ports in these networks. Might there be a tenuous connection to the EIC?
While 'mortuary' swords are notoriously associated with the English civil wars, it would seem thier use (which actually predated those events) might have found use outside that context. Perhaps looking into records and examples of other English swords and items with these trade contexts might bring some clues? i.e. other items marked with this oriental 'chop' type styling.

The weapons often do 'talk' , but it up to us to find the questions to ask, and even the most subtle clues can offer at least reasonably plausible answers. Though typically not empirically provable, these answers can be most compelling.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote