View Single Post
Old 29th February 2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'd like to also second the comments on the work of Dima, his brilliant book, and his scholarship as evidenced by this outstanding study of the 'lohar'.
I recall years ago trying to study these, and in a kind of 'red herring' event, thought that the term was for the language and term 'lohar' used to describe itinerant blacksmiths who traveled these regions and fashioned these (as thought) and other tools and weaponry(?).

Stone believed these to be indiginous to the Bannuchi tribes inside the Khyber area, and that the men fashioned their own 'lohar' in personalized fashion.
That would seem rather suspect as such skills are not inherent in every man.

These are fascinating implements, whatever capacity in which they are regarded, and excellent ethnographic items from these Afghan regions.
As always, whether agricultural or utility item, these served as well as weapons of opportunity or warfare. The rank and file of many tribal forces often relied on tools and implements as their weapons as needed.

I would note that these 'lohar' seem to often be of rather small size, but I have always thought that made them ideal for concealment within the folds of clothing. This would serve well in the times with weapons forbidden by occupying forces as well as use by assassins.
The 'pick' type blade would well penetrate a turban with force of a haft.

Outstanding work Dima!! Thank you for the references as well!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote