View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:58 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Yes, older Madura blades very often do have a gandhik that tends to slope inwards, however I've never seen a keris that I knew to be Madura that looks like this one, also, even though there are a lot of pics I'm not at all certain just how much inwards slope there is in this gandhik. Looking at the overall form, the cross section, the top of the gonjo, especially sirah cecak and buntut urang, to me this looks like it could be from anywhere along the North Coast and into East Jawa. Looking only at the sirah cecak it is more like something from old Surabaya & hinterland than anything else.

As for pamor, I cannot see anything that gives a strong indication of a distinct pamor, pamor sanak, maybe, but any sort of really noticeable contrast I doubt.

The problem with a blade like this is that we are trying to place point of origin using indicators that were developed for the classification of very high quality blades, and this blade is nowhere near high quality. Its not really governed by anything much in the way of rules, except what the maker was capable of and what would comfortably fit a wrongko from the time and place where it was made.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote