View Single Post
Old 9th November 2016, 09:21 PM   #21
mankova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I am sure you are familiar with the late Professor Zdzislaw Zygulski, who was one of your greatest scholars of arms and armour. Of his many great works, he wrote "Islamic Weapons in Polish Collections and Their Provenance" (in "Islamic Arms & Armour", ed. Robert Elgood, 1979).
He was of course curator of the famed Czartoryski Museum until his passing in 2015.
Yes, even after his death, he's still a great authority. I have few of his books He was teaching at my university, but i was too young to know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I am glad to see these two yataghans being conserved, and to see this sincere approach to their history as well as more on the history of this weapon form overall.
The best thing about restoration of weapons in these conservatory conditions is that it is done carefully and with appropriate restraint as possible. That is to preserve patination and focus on stabilizing any corrosion or active deterioration and replacing components only as necessary.
I will add some photos in progress and after conservation They belong to the museum, and they age, patina must be preserved. It's also very important to stabilize corrosion process like You said. Not only the final effect, but whole process is the very best part of this work

Independently from the conservation process, i will make some trials with old techniques in non-antique materials. I think it's a good way to know yataghans better
I really enjoy casting metals, sculpting in various materials, so this might be another very developing experience.

I'm very excited
mankova is offline   Reply With Quote